Saturday, October 16, 2010

Lots of Randomness

Happy Saturday everyone!  I just wanted to thank all the people who left very kind, supportive comments on my last post.  I really appreciated it.  I think I was just overwhelmed by the enormity of the decision I have made.  Realizing that I can no longer use food to soothe me, stifle my emotions, celebrate, keep me company, etc. is pretty huge.  I am so grateful for a community that provides support, encouragement and endless amounts of information (and entertainment).


Random Thoughts:
  • I am really new to blogging and am having the hardest time figuring out how to do what seems like it should be easy.  Like, how do you add a tab?  Can we only use the design templates provided in this program? etc.?  So frustrating.  And there is no way in hell I am asking my husband because I don't want him to know how to get to this blog.
  • I started on soft foods a few days early.  I am justifying the move because I start my new job on Monday and I want to make sure I know what foods I can tolerate before getting into the office.  It would be mortifying to have some sort of sliming episode when I am the new kid on the block.  So far, tuna, ground turkey in marinara sauce and scrambled eggs all seem to be winners.
  • I'm getting a facial today - woohoo!  My little "new job" treat to myself.  I am sooooo looking forward to it.
  • I weighed myself Thursday Friday today and find that I am the exact same weight I was last Saturday.  How is that possible?!?  I have been following Dr's orders to a T.  Could I have already plateaued?  I'm freaking out a little bit.  If anything, maybe I am getting too few calories.  But I am trying really hard not to "test out" my band limits yet since I am still healing.  Of course, I feel no restriction so far.  I get to see the doctor this Thursday so maybe he can tell me.

After reading Amanda's post yesterday, I thought it was fortuitous to come across this article this morning.  You all might find interesting.  It's by Mark Hyman, MD and explains food addiction.  It's a long read, but well worth it.   In part, it says:
Here are some of the scientific findings confirming that food can, indeed, be addictive(ii):
  1. Sugar stimulates the brain's reward centers through the neurotransmitter dopamine, exactly like other addictive drugs.
  2. Brain imagining (PET scans) shows that high-sugar and high-fat foods work just like heroin, opium, or morphine in the brain.(iii)
  3. Brain imaging (PET scans) shows that obese people and drug addicts have lower numbers of dopamine receptors, making them more likely to crave things that boost dopamine.
  4. Foods high in fat and sweets stimulate the release of the body's own opioids (chemicals like morphine) in the brain.
  5. Drugs we use to block the brain's receptors for heroin and morphine (naltrexone) also reduce the consumption and preference for sweet, high-fat foods in both normal weight and obese binge eaters.
  6. People (and rats) develop a tolerance to sugar -- they need more and more of the substance to satisfy themselves -- just like they do for drugs of abuse like alcohol or heroin.
  7. Obese individuals continue to eat large amounts of unhealthy foods despite severe social and personal negative consequences, just like addicts or alcoholics.
  8. Animals and humans experience "withdrawal" when suddenly cut off from sugar, just like addicts detoxifying from drugs.
  9. Just like drugs, after an initial period of "enjoyment" of the food, the user no longer consumes them to get high but to feel normal.
I've long believed that the introduction of high fructose corn syrup and the explosion of fast food/chain restaurants since the mid-70s has contributed to the explosion of obesity in America. 

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

5 comments:

Maybe This Time said...

i've plateaued too! and im a lil worried since ive only been banded for 2 wks... am i eating too little? surely im not eating too much?!? but i have also moved on to mostly soft foods and skipped the liquid stage... not sure i can eat less though. i guess we just gotta hold the line.

Christine said...

Don't worry about the mini-plateau! It's normal, really. Don't let the scale stall your weight loss. Keep doing what you're supposed to be doing and the scale will respond I promise! Just make sure your mushies don't consist of heavy creams, sugars, fats, etc. (like milkshakes, creamy potato soup, etc.)

Rachel said...

Thanks for your post...you did some great research and provided some very relevant info. I was banded 9/15 and 10 lbs dropped off and I've held steady...I'm getting my first fill 10/29 and I decided to just focus on re engineering my lifestyle and habits to accomodate my first fill. Look forward to sharing our journeys!

DiZneDiVa said...

LOL... You stole my blog name... It was bound to happen sooner or later, i guess. Congrats! Good luck with your band! *Maria*-Blogger from "This one time at BAND Camp..." Follow my journey at mybigfatbandgeeklife.blogspot.com

DiZneDiVa said...

No problem about the blog name, Libby... Us Band geeks need to stick together. I was just teasin' you. There are several blogs with the same name. *Maria*-Blogger from "This one time at BAND Camp..." Follow my journey at mybigfatbandgeeklife.blogspot.com