Saturday, October 23, 2010

To Work-Out (or not)

Happy Saturday everyone.  I can't believe I haven't posted for a week!  I started my new job on Monday and it has been a tad overwhelming.  I now have a 37 mile (one way) commute to work and a boss that expects her team to be there from 8-6.  It makes for a long day.  Yesterday I found myself almost dozing off during a conference call.  Thank heavens for the mute button.  As I said in an earlier blog, I have been unemployed since last February, so I guess I am out of practice.  Anywho, I am struggling with figuring out when I am going to be able to work out.  I have come up with 4 options - each has their own challenge:
  1. Get up at 5am instead of 5:45 and do cardio (treadmill or elliptical) or a work-out tape at home before showering and heading to the office.  This sounds pretty good but 5 fucking AM?  I'm gonna have to be in bed by 9 to make that work.
  2. Get up at 5am and drive to the gym that is close to the office and work out.  The upside to this is that (if I can get there on time) I could take the 5:45 spin class or Body Pump class on alternate days.  The downside is I would have to pack all my work clothes and breakfast/lunch the night before and still be in bed by 9pm.  Upside to 1 & 2 is that I get my work-out done before work and don't have to think about it again.  Maybe it will give me some additional energy during the day?
  3. My company has an on-site gym.  I could work out at lunch time.  The downside to this is that it is a relatively formal work attire culture and getting sweaty in the middle of the day poses some problems - like time to shower and reapply make-up, re-do hair, etc.  Not to mention the challenge of taking the time to work-out during a busy work day.  My concern with this is that I will come up with too many excuses not to make it to the gym.
  4. Work out after work at the gym close to the office.  This has several pluses and minuses.  If I work out after work, I can miss the rush hour traffic going home (which can be considerable in Denver if you are heading all the way from the South to the North).  There are more classes to choose from in the evening which is nice.  However, many of the classes start at 5:30pm which means I would have to leave the office at 5 in order to get there on time.  This could be a challenge since it seems the office culture is to work til 6.  There are other classes that start at 6:45pm but then I wouldn't get home til close to 9 every night and that poses a challenge with dinner and sleep.  Not to mention my concern that by the end of the day (at least right now) I am so whipped that I can't imagine working out after work.
I guess I am leaning toward #1 right now and maybe throwing in #2 on occasion so I can get in a challenging work-out but that means I am really going to have to become a morning person.  Ugh.

In other news...I had my 2 week (more like 2 1/2 week) post-op check up with my doctor on Thursday.  Turns out that he had 3 cancellations that afternoon so he went home and I got to meet with the PA.  She is nice but I was really hoping to see the doctor as I think that moving forward I will probably be getting my fills from the PAs and I might not get much time with him.  I peppered her with questions about my band - did he remember to put in the low-profile port?  Yes.  How many CCs is my band?  10.  How many CCs will they put in on my first fill?  Varies usually between 3 and 5.  Depends on what my body tells them.  Can I drink Crystal Light Lemonade (I have been concerned about this since I read something that said I should stay away from citrus because of band erosion)?  No problem - drink as much CL Lemonade as I want.  What kind of needles do they use for fills?  Huber (sp?).

According to the PA, my incisions are healing well.  I did ask why my port seemed so low.  When the doctor originally explained port placement he said that it was placed halfway between your belly button and sternum and to the left.  However, mine is only about an inch above my belly button and to the left.  When the PA looked at it, she thought maybe it was because my rib cage come down further than most.  I am just hoping this doesn't mean that my port will be likelier to stick out after I lose weight.

Anyhow, I have my first fill scheduled for Nov. 3.  I am really looking forward to it since I feel little if any restriction at this point.  I've still been trying to eat on plan but Aunt Flo paid me a visit this week and I was ravenous!  I swear, on Wednesday, I was ready to knock someone over for a piece of chocolate!  And though I have stayed largely on plan (per doc's orders) I have not lost an ounce since Oct. 9th.  So, I'm ready for my fill, Mr. DeMille!

And, although I have not blogged this week, I have been reading everyone else's blogs and I do constantly find them a source of strength and inspiration.  Every time I am having a little pity party for me, I read a blog and realize that I am not alone in this.  Everyone else is experiencing challenges, plateaus, frustrations, and SUCCESS!  So, keep it up folks!  I'll try to be a better blogger and post a little more often.  But it might take me a little while to settle into this new job before I can find the time.

Have a terrific weekend folks!  I am off to clean my filthy house and paint some sample boards for potential paint colors for my bedroom.


Read said...

I think you should try all of the choices. Maybe even cycle through 1 choice a week for 4 weeks - then you would 1) have 4 weeks of workouts in (woo hoo) and 2) you would have a good sense of which choices worked and when. Maybe you'll find out that on Monday traffic is really bad, so that's the day you should work out after work and miss rush hour - or whatever. Ultimately I think you should mix it up and find the right mix for you.

Good luck!

Fluffy said...

Thanks for commenting on my post, Libby. Congratulations on your job - I think you have some solid, well thought out options to integrate exericise in. I'll be following and reading to see how it goes!

Silverhairedgoddess said...

Just stopped by to say hi and to read your blog - good luck in your new job and thank you for adding yourself to my Follower list :)

I get up at 6am - do some office work - out of my apartment and then 45 min exercising - I am usually falling asleep by 10 pm. I have an eliptical (probably spelled wrong) and that is what I use !


Dinnerland said...

Congrats on the beginning of this new journey! You are going to do great and be sounds like you are very thorough.
Keep blogging, staying present in this process is a very important key to success (in my humble opinion.)
I will be watching!!

Gen said...

Hi Libby! Glad your visit went well. Honestly, I think you are better off seeing the PA. She is MUCH better with the fills -- which is the whole key to the band. It was the doc who gave me a giant 2cc fill in September, which was WAY too much.. The PA said she would not have done that. And she knows all the answers to all the questions.

About the exercise - I would say commit to exercising Sat and Sun, that way you only have to fit in 1-2 during the week. Much easier than trying to do M-F along with work. You want to do whatever will be the most likely to get done in the least amount of time. So, the treadmill at home might be the best option to start with - just hop on once or twice before or after work, and then do the weekends. No clothes to pack and lug anywhere, no getting changed, and no commuting time.

Look forward to meeting you! I am thinking about early Nov. for my fill now...will keep you posted.

Gen said...

P.S. I got 4 ccs for my first fill (from the doc). After that, I got 2 more to go up to 2 ccs, which was awesome. That is when I really started to get the sweet spot feeling.