Friday, October 1, 2010

Prepping for Surgery

TGIF everyone!

I meant to write this post last Friday but life has been a little whirlwind of activity lately.  I met with Dr. #2 last Thursday and was so impressed with him, his staff, and his practice that I went ahead and scheduled my surgery.  I will join the land of the banded on Monday, Oct. 4th.  I can't say that I haven't had some nervous moments since making the date, but I know this is the right thing for me to do.  I have struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember.  I know that the band is only a tool that will help me in my journey to lose weight.  I still have to do the hard work of eating right, exercising and learning to deal with my "head" hunger.  But it is my profound hope that the band will make this journey a little easier.

In preparation for my surgery, I had to begin a 3-day clear liquid, sugar free diet today.  I can have water, chicken, beef or vegetable broth, sugar-free jello, sugar-free popsicles, Crystal Light and sugar-free Kool Aid.  All I can say is my stomach has been grumbling most of the day and I have had to fight the urge to grab solid food just to have something to crunch on. I'm also not particularly looking forward to the Liquid Pureed Diet for the first 2 weeks following surgery.  I'm glad that I like Greek yogurt and cottage cheese but can't imagine how I can prepare pureed meat to make it palatable.  Anyone out there have any great ideas?  If not, I think I will stick with yogurt, cottage cheese and protein shakes for a couple of weeks. Also in preparation for the day of surgery, I went and got a library card today (I know, I know, I cant' believe that it has taken me so long to get a new card) so that I can download some audio books to listen to on my iPod while I wait.

To top off my week, I finally got a job offer today.  Yay!!!  I have been job hunting since February when I was laid off due to the acquisition of my former company by Oracle.  I did take a contract job from May - August but other than that I have been "pounding the pavement" looking for a permanent new gig.  It has been incredibly stressful and I am excited to be starting my new job with my new band.  It feels like a new beginning all around. 

Hoping everyone has a really terrific weekend.  I'll try to post again before Monday.  If I don't make it for some reason, I'll make sure to check in when I get home and let you all know how it went.

Til then, be well.

No comments: